Sunday, April 6, 2008

Dinner with the Fox's

Today was a blast. I picked up A.M., a five year old who is being raised by an 83 year old woman. When I arrived at A.M.’s house, she was just finishing washing her laundry and sweeping the floor. How many of you reading this entry have your five year old washing their own laundry (by hand) and cleaning the house? I was greeted with a loud cry “Heder”, followed by two tiny arms not quite reaching around my waist, but holding on with such a grip. Yesterday, I brought A.M. a new bottle of shampoo with conditioner. The last bottle was emptied in just one shower. I just assumed she would know how to use it or would get some guidance on how to use it. So, yesterday, when I dropped off the new bottle, I explained to A.M. how beautiful the shampoo will make her hair look. I explained the per usage amount and she then outlined the palm of her hand to show me how much she was going to use. When I finished explaining how to use the shampoo to her, she held the bottle in her arms like it was her baby and said, “I am going to take good care of this”.

After the long hug, A.M. looked up at me and said “I took a shower and took good care of the shampoo”. I could see her hair was shining a bit and was so proud. She showed me how much was left in the bottle!

We took off to the market to buy “ripe banana’s” for A.M.’s mom. Then we tried on some clothes at one of the buses, that brings clothes to townshe to sell. It’s quite a scene looking at the school bus with clothes hanging out of every window. Neither myself or A.M. bought anything, but we had fun trying things on! Me and A.M. were pretty hot and dehydrated after our shopping spree, so we stopped at a shop to grab some juice. A.M. loves comparing who has more, so with each sip, she would size up our drinks.

We headed back to the house, had some good Kraft Mac and Cheese and then both crashed on the sofa’s in my living room. I awoke around 130pm and had to wake A.M. because I needed to be on the other side of town by 2 to help a family prepare a bedroom for a patient who was to be released from the hospital.

Had 8 people over for dinner tonight. Tessy, our new long term volunteer came in from Canada. She will be staying at the house as well.

It was a pretty simple spread. Well, if I were preparing in the states it would be simple. Here, you buy whatever you can get. Luckily today, there was spaghetti sauce. Yesterday, the store was out of spaghetti, but thankfully there was a restock today. No angel hair though. Called my aunt to get a meatball recipe. I tried my mom, but I think she was still in transit from Florida.

My pots and pans are something to be desired. Ivory, another long term volunteer, brought some forks so we didn’t have to take shifts. Ivy brought some delicious garlic bread and Jeff, Ivory and the kids brought dessert. Don’t know the name, but it was good. Graham cracker, banana, jellies. The watermelon was also a nice touch. Patricia brought flowers from the convent. I think they are lilies. Very fragrant and a beautiful arrangement. All in all, dinner was pretty darn good! A little improvising here and there and it all works out!
My eyes are like glue tonight. They have been since this afternoon. I took my contacts out mid day, but still, my eyes are giving me trouble. It was pretty hot today and the dust picked up a bit this afternoon. I will use a cool compress tonight. Let’s see if that helps.

Bought speakers for my laptop today. However, the internal speakers are louder than this set. What did I expect for $15 belize?

Gotta get some sleep. Goodnight~

No comments: