Saturday, April 26, 2008

Temash

My apologies for not updating you all in a few weeks. Life has been a bit hectic, but good! Last weekend, I went with Nurse Patricia to Temash. This is a village on the Guatemalan border. A driver took us to Delores, where we spent the night in a school. Four children's school tables put together, made a sufficient bed for the night. My clean pants and windbreaker rolled together was my pillow and I had a beach towel that I used for a blanket.

In Delores, we treated two people for malaria. We travelled to the first home by candlelight (yes, we both forgot our head lamps). On our way back, there was a man lying in front of the school which we were staying at. His friend was with him. I quickly obtained vitals and he was reaching 103 temp. Next, we did a blood smear which was later turned into the Ministry of Health. We gave him Chloroquine and some liquids. The next day, his friend came by and said he was doing much better.

We were all up me, Patricia and Marcos, the local health care worker) at the crack of dawn on Saturday morning. We shared a few granola bars, and then greeted our sherpas. There were 8 total. These men came from Temash to Delores, to lead the way to the village we would be working in. The two horses carried our supply bag and personal bag. The hike was hard and mountainous, but amazing. I was in total awe of God's awesome creation. We hiked for nearly 2 hours, at times thru the jungle and then others thru the valley. As we went over some of the mountains, we could hear the horse and cows greeting us! The last 30 minutes of the hike was the hardest...all uphill and no shade!

We arrived in Temash around 10:45am and started seeing patients shortly after. I think we saw 57 total for the day. My role was to triage the patients and translate. Most of the patients spoke only Katchi, a Mayan language, so I would communicate with a local who spoke spanish and he would translate into Katchi to the patient and then back to Spanish for me. I have no doubt that some things got lost in translation, but there was lots of clarifying! I was pleasantly surprised with the illnessness patients were coming in with. Mostly, back and shoulder pain due to the strenuous work these men and women do daily. There were no scabies or lice cases!!! We have to find out what they are doing and implement it in the Toledo district!

At 7:30pm the Alcaldo(village chief) came and told us we had to finish up because the community was preparing a service for us. I have to admit, I was pretty psyched when he closed us down, because I was exhausted at this point. Thankfully too, there were only a handfull of patients that hadn't yet been seen. We did manage to see them individually before we left.

The service was so beautiful. Even though the entire service was done in Katchi, I was really touched. There were five boys/men playing the vibes. This was a handmade wooden set and the sound was amazing. The service ended at about 1045pm. Everyone was served a hot rice drink in coconut bowls!

Saturday night, I actually upgraded from tables to a hammock to sleep in!
We were up at 5am when we heard the village members walking by our area. They were announcing church was starting! YIKES!!

Hiking back wasn't too bad. A member of the village took us on dirtbike part of the way (the last part that was all up hill). This was fab, because I was so dog tired. When we got to the stream, one of the sherpa's told me to jump up on the horse because the horse was going to take me across the stream. I did as I was told and then froze. So did the horse. So I am on this horse and the guy is telling me to pull on the horse's mane. I couldn't. I was afraid if I did the horse would fly off. So, finally the sherpa tredged thru the water and grabbed the horse. Nurse Patricia said it would have been a great Kodak moment!

We arrived back to PG around 330pm Sunday afternoon. Exhausted, but energized from the weekend, I had showered, had some dinner with a few friends and CRASHED!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hahaha I would have loved to see you on that horse!! It's a cross between the "beached whale" scene and the "climbing down the rooftop" scene in Guatemala :-)

So that jungle hike sounds like it was quite the workout! Remember that crazy mountain we hiked to get to Panimaquip? If it wasn't for all those beans we ate, I would have lost 20 pounds!

It sounds like you are really having a great time! I can't wait to come down and see it all first hand in a few months.

Miss you lots up here in America...Boston isn't the same without you!

Love, Jodie